January 29, 2018

Please reload

Recent Posts

Hello I'm Here - Huichol Beading Attempt

February 3, 2017

Please reload

Featured Posts

Design - plan or accident

April 17, 2017

For the month of March I offered to be a guest adviser on the Facebook group Seed Beads and More.  The bead challenge for the month was beaded eggs and since I have done quite a few of these I thought I might be able to help.  To really help them out I designed 2 new egg patterns.


The first one - Eggstra Crystally (love that word play) was part planned and part playing around.  I knew  

what I wanted the center band of the egg to look like and once I had that I played around with the top and the bottom until I liked the way it looked.


This did entail some ripping out and redoing but not as much as other pieces I've made.  It just kind of fell into place.  I love when designing works this way - it's more like play than work.  



Now the other one - well that was an egg of a different color.  First of all, I knew I wanted to do something in Peyote stitch because this group really loves their Peyote stitch (just to let you know - I'm not that big a fan of this stitch).  So I decided an egg covered in Russian leaves would be fantastic and for a change I even sketched something out.  



After making the first leaf I knew my little sketch would have to wait for another time because the leaf was way too big.  I don't like to waste time with completely ditching something and starting over.  I believe there was a reason for this mistake and it was going to turn into something beautiful.  So I pushed onward.

I laid my large leaf down and quite by accident the ends flopped in to the center of the leaf.  Well that's kind of cool I thought to myself  - now what to do with it.  I played around until I had the center jewels in place and now a new idea began to form.



I made 3 more large petals.  The next thing I did was tape these all to the egg they way I thought they should go and I tried to figure out

how all the connections would work.  Well guess what - no matter how I looked at it, it just wasn't coming together the way I thought it should.  


I went to bed hoping to look at it with new eyes in the morning.  Well something happened overnight - husband, animal, gravity, ghosts, me sleep beading - not sure - but when I went in the next morning the beadwork was upside down  on the egg from the way I had left it.  And now I saw all the connections.



Thus the Marchemarch egg was designed - mostly by accident.  (To top off the story - the name is an accident too.  I was looking up the word Marquis to see other versions of it and I misread a post that said it from Marche or march - totally missed that word "or" and thus the egg became Marchemarch).


Both patterns are available for sale in my Etsy store.



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Follow Us
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

© 2023 by Ground Floor. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook Social Icon

All content, design and photographs created by and property of:

The Ornamental Lady - Barb Talijan
Copyright © 2008-2016